January 17, 2017

LADY INJUSTICE

LADY INJUSTICE


VISION:


A drawing I created back in 2016 to reflect how I felt about the corrupt justice system and the many injustices that humanity faces everyday. They say "justice is blind". However I think Lady Justice sees injustice but chooses to turn a blind eye to it, peeking from behind her blind fold at her many bribes. Lady Injustice does not have balanced scales but scales that are weighed down by money, greed, death and corruption. 


PROCESS:


When creating this drawing I knew that my primary subject matter would be the imagery of lady justice, which is a great starting point with plenty of cool aesthetic features like the sword and the scales. I always enjoy drawing females as well so this was a win win. Thumb-nailing out some basic compositions I found a pose I liked so went straight in to sketching up the drawing and inking it.  

With the scales initially I drew the picture with one scale full of a pile of very small notes and the other scale full of people committing atrocious crimes. At the time I thought it was a good idea but further down the line I realised I had messed up the composition and it was overkill on the detail visually. I took a step back and thought how to resolve this problem as the rest of the drawing was looking good and I didn't want this to be a waste. So I drew another set of scales featuring the skull and money and edited these into the drawing in Photoshop. 



The overall image was a good one and I was mostly happy with the result. I really liked the subtle shading and line work. In hindsight, I may have rushed into the drawing too quickly as I had that creative buzz when starting the sketch and proceeded without thinking too much about what I was doing and as result hit some problems along the way. Alas this is part of the learning process and stresses the need for solid planning in future drawings. I still hope to take this further and make it a digital painting.